вторник, 14 июля 2015 г.

Hip Stretches

Hip Stretches

Lunch today was filled with vegetables!


egg bowl
egg bowl

What? You don’t see them?


eggs with brussesls and green beans
eggs with brussesls and green beans

There we go! Now they’re peaking out a bit!


I’m a little over a week into my Green Giant Veg Pledge mission and, after a veggie-filled morning snack (red pepper + hummus), I wanted to keep the momentum going this afternoon. I prepared a batch of roasted Brussels sprouts and roasted green beans by tossing the vegetables in olive oil and roasting them at 450 for about 15 minutes (higher heat than normal because I was impatient).


On top of the vegetables, I placed two dippy eggs which I enjoyed along with a whole wheat waffle topped with muenster cheese.


dippy eggs
dippy eggs

waffle with cheese
waffle with cheese

If you love dippy eggs and roasted vegetables, I have a feeling this combination will be right up your alley. The yolks act as a pseudo-sauce over the vegetables and taste fantastic!


I rounded out the meal with a little unsweetened applesauce.


applesauce

Now let’s discuss pain and stretching.


Doesn’t that sound like fun?


Hip Stretches


Every time I mention that I previously struggled with some intense hip pain in the form of hip bursitis on the blog, I inevitably receive comments and emails asking me about the stretches I now do to try to proactively prevent hip pain.


Apparently the hips give a lot of us issues, huh!?


I first experienced hip pain in college and saw a doctor on campus. I was prescribed steroids and told not to run or walk a lot (if I could help it) or do any kind of exercise that involved my hips for months. After about a month I was so, so unhappy. The pain was still very much there. I couldn’t even go for a walk without pain and made an appointment to see a different doctor – one who specialized in sports medicine and is the doctor for a bunch of the players from the Tampa Bay Bucs football team.


He took me off the steroids and taught me a ton of different hip stretches. Stretching made a huge difference for me. I never really knew how to target my hips and deeply stretch them out, so taking care to do this really improved my pain.


(Side note: If you’re currently struggling with an injury or roadblock in your fitness routine, you may enjoy this previous post: Staying Positive Through an Exercise Setback.)


I still get a dull pain in my hips when I run longer distances (or lay on my side all night in bed), but it’s not every time and it’s not really that bad. I take a lot of care to stretch my hips and give them a lot of attention on days when I run.


I also stretch my hips randomly when I’m hanging out at home watching TV or when I feel a little tight. Hip stretches feel so good to me and I always feel better after taking the time to give my hips a little extra love.


Since some of you seemed interested in my favorite hip stretches, I compiled a bunch of my favorites below. Each stretch is hyperlinked above the picture so you may click on the link for a more detailed description of the stretch.


For those of you who couldn’t care less about hip stretches, I inserted one faux-stretch so you can play a rousing game of “Can You Spot the Imposter?”



pigeon pose
pigeon pose


lying hip and glute stretch
lying hip and glute stretch

hamstring hip stretch
hamstring hip stretch


butterfly stretch
butterfly stretch

  • Spread Eagle

dog stretching
dog stretching

hip flexor stretch
hip flexor stretch


crossover stretch
crossover stretch


seated hip stretch
seated hip stretch

Original article and pictures take www.pbfingers.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий